I’m sure we looked strange with Shawn’s California plates and me running around with my camera snapping pictures of the town sign and the little Methodist church where Vos worshiped during the summer. Then Shawn looked up on the hillside and spotted what looked like gravestones. We wound our way up the hillside and found our way to the entrance of the cemetery. As we drove around, I spotted a small series of markers set down the hillside, off by themselves, with the distinctive lettering of the last name V-O-S. I jumped out of the truck and ran down to see not only Geerhardus and his wife Catherine, but also two of his sons and their wives. It was pretty cool (in an admittedly nerdy sort of way). I imagined this theological genius spending relaxed summer days in this quiet town, worshiping at a church which he almost certainly found to be theologically incompatible, and writing some of the most remarkable theological treatises of the 20th century. It must have been a considerable change of pace from his heady life at Princeton, taking long walks with his close friend BB Warfield and influencing some of the most remarkable minds of the 20th century, including Cornelius Van Til.
Anyway, that was my trip. I’ve posted some pictures below to give you a taste of what our day was like. I’m hoping to make this the first of many trips to dead theologians’ graves, and if I get to any others I’ll be sure to update it here.

The town sign at the entrance to Roaring Branch, PA

The little Methodist church where Vos worshiped

The view from the cemetery up on the hillside. The Vos graves are down the side of the hill (out of sight) on the left 1/3 of the photo

These are the 3 grave stones: Geerhardus & Catherine are on the right

Here is a picture of me by their marker

Finally, a close-up of their marker.
Do they also teach cheesy blog post titles at the PC as well? :)
ReplyDeleteThat title also immediately made me think of Richard Sensenig, who might also think "it vos worth it" to see Vos' tomb.
So GOOD to see you guys at church this past Sunday!
Sara
Steve
ReplyDeleteOK when you get back to Crossway you had better not be planning field trips to dead theologians graves. Heehee. Glad you found what you were looking for and I'm sure you had a great time with your brother.
Carol
Thanks for posting the pictures of your adventure! I found myself here after a Google search of "Roaring Branch, Pennsylvania grave location Geerhardus Vos"
ReplyDeleteI had been listening to an audio interview with a nephew of Cornelius Van Till about his remembrances of his uncle. The interviewer asked him about the connection of Van Till to Voss and this lead the nephew to convey a story about Voss being buried near his dog on a hill side in NY. Obviously, he had gotten the details of the location mixed up. Below is a link to the interview.
http://www.netfilehost.com/wscal/OfficeHours/08.04.10jvantil.mp3
Great post. Just found it. Wish I had read it earlier. It's kind of funny... I qualify as "just as nerdy"... been to the Vos grave site twice now (2008, 2011), the most recently this past Thursday.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a FB account here are some photos, which look much like yours:
http://on.fb.me/iQijWq
My first visit was 3 years ago:
http://on.fb.me/iuD4nW
It was nice to have some friends along this time around. We read a couple of Vos passages both at the grave and the site of his summer home. A parishioner from the Methodist church in Roaring Branch invited us back next year.
We dont know each other, but I lived across the highway from this church, over the bridge . Yellow victorian house with a store, barn and other outbuildings. It was a beautiful area, have not been there in awhile.
ReplyDelete