Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Accomplishment

Confession: I'm not a reader.  My growing up years consisted of Betsy Byers, Beverly Cleary, Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, and Sweet Valley High.  Sprinkle in a few teenage devotionals and there you have my childhood literary diet.

My husband is a reader.  I'm talking a big time reader.  Like, he spends his Christmas money on books. He dreams of having his own study with a library in our home.  He treats his books better than he treats his car.

Having our children be readers is very important to him.  It's actually his biggest academic desire for them.  So I've had to hop on this reading train.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not spending my Christmas money on books or anything, but I have had to be more purposeful about showing the kids the beauty of a good book.

This past spring I had finished up Aaron's literature curriculum and needed something to do to fill that requirement.  So...I began reading to him and Greta.  And we kept on reading!  I am very proud to say that since the spring I have read them 4 books.  It's really not that big of a deal, but it feels like a big accomplishment to me amidst the craziness of our life.


3 comments:

  1. YAY! I think it's a GREAT accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As parents you are leaving a good example to your kids. . .It seems to be more convenient today to turn on the TV ...than read a book. . Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found memories of my mother reading to us and of Jack or I sitting in the hallway reading to our kids while they were all tucked in their beds. Trouble is, I"d fall asleep and "read" things that weren't there. My mom did the same thing; we'd try to get her to say crazy things. I think that is a great accomplishment too. Keep reading.

    ReplyDelete