Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Salvaged!

Anyone who has the same tightwad blood as me knows what a thrill
it is to find a good deal. Something interesting about the neighbor-
hood that we are in is that people put really nice things out with
their garbage. A few months back my friend was here and she got
some big "Little Tykes" items that were in great condition from the
neighbor's trash.
So this morning the kids and I were walking to the neighbors and
saw a really nice table and chairs sitting on the curb. Shortly
after, the garbage man was coming and I asked him if he would save it
for me. He was excited and said, "Yeah, people are always putting
nice things out with their garbage! Last month I got a 47" big
screen TV that works just great. I have it in my bedroom!" When we
were done at the neighbors the girls and I began to drag the chairs
home. The table was a bit heavy... as I was awkwardly trying to
get it to our house, a painter that was outside came and offered his
help. He only spoke Spanish so I got to use a little of what Spanish
I knew to communicate with him.
All in all it was quite the thrill. A little spray paint and some
new cushions will make this set a beauty. Though I have no idea what
I am going to actually do with it!!

The girls with our find. I see that one chair is missing
a few rungs...hmmm...



9 comments:

  1. You go you tight wad Mennonite girl!
    Would you happen to be related to Rachel Thomas? Oh and by the way if you don't know what to do with that I think I would have a place for it.
    Love ya
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! What a great find. Good job Lori!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable! What a great find. Good job Lori!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are just like my mom! nice find!

    moriah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Funny, we were just talking about that sort of stuff, huh!?! xoxo, K

    ReplyDelete
  6. the mennonite within me rejoices with you! well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carol...I taught her well!! Good job Lori!! Does anyone else have this vision of a "queen bee" and all of her little helpers dragging this table and chairs up the sidewalk to her domain?

    Gma T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eboni just showed me your table find. Love it!!! I use to love trash night when we lived in Lancaster city. It was like going shopping. I thought I could find a place for that beauty also, but I see Carol Landis already beat me to that. If you find anymore good stuff bring it back for my spring yard sale and you can keep the profits.
    Love ya's,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. somebody threw that out?

    "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

    great job Lori!

    ReplyDelete