Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Struck

One day last week I was laying on the couch reading.  The little 2 were sleeping and Morgan was playing in the basement with a couple of friends.  It suddenly started to downpour.  The girls came up and asked me if they could go play in the rain.  There had been no thunder and lightening.  Often in those storms I will let them go out.  For whatever reason, mostly b/c I didn't feel like dealing with the madness of 3 wet little girls, I said no.  I went back to reading, them to the basement.  Not even minutes later, I heard this sound so loud...literally like a bomb going off.  I seriously thought there was going to be a huge hole in the side of the house.  I timidly got off the couch and did an inspection, at least expecting the power to be off.  Nothing.  The storm was brief and afterwards I went outside to look.  There are a couple of trees just 10-15 feet from our garage.  Apparently, one of them got struck by lightening.  As you can see in the photo below, it was pretty obvious.  2 of the rungs of the ladder Steve had on the tree so the kids could climb had been blown off.  My heart was certainly in my throat upon seeing that.  Imagine if I had let those girls go outside.  I am grateful for God's protection that afternoon!!

Found out this weekend that during the same storm my neighbor/uncle lost his electric dog fence in the strike.  Powerful stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Lord for your protection! Wow.

    Reminds me of Doug's sermon from Sunday. God's providence in the small, the vast, and the hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow lori!!! He truely watches over His children!!! Your story has built my faith this morning! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth literally fell open seeing your tree. Thanking God for His protection and mercy! Whew, scary!

    ReplyDelete