There are many things that I love about my mom, but here are a few of my faves...
She's generous with her time.
My mom will spend a whole day, week, however long it takes, helping me or my brother and his wife with all kinds of things around the house. She will put her duties aside and make time for ours. Last summer she spent hours re-painting my kitchen cabinets. She would come after work and keep plugging away until they were done with perfection. They look brand new and beautiful thanks to her! This weekend she and my dad drove to Columbus, OH to help my bro mulch their place. Take note, mom has not yet done her mulching but helps to get theirs done!!
Mom with my brother Chad at his wedding

She's brave.
My mom is this funny mix of sassy and determined. If you tell her she can't do something, she will find a way to do it. She's been known to knock down walls in her house, she's volunteered on the ambulance for decades, took on a job as a deputy coroner. Two years ago my mom's sister was diagnosed with leukemia. Of all the siblings, my mom was the perfect match to be her bone marrow donor. Mom didn't even flinch to make the sacrifice to give of herself to save her sister's life.
Mom and I in Hawaii for Chad's wedding

She's hospitable.
Mom and Dad have a nice home that they built themselves and are very willing to open it to others. Mom has taught me the joy of sharing a home-cooked meal with those we love.
Her laugh.
My mom has this very contagious laugh that usually comes at inappropriate times and is often accompanied by many tears. I love to hear her laugh.
Mom and Morgan

She loves my kids.
When my babies were born, there was no one like my mom to help me through the transition. She has an amazing ability to get a baby (or toddler) to sleep with her stubborn determination to "win the battle". Mom has spent many hours watching my kids so I would go to the doc, get my hair cut, go out with Steve, or any other reason.
My kids all love their grandma very much.
Mom and Aaron

She can decorate.
My mom was blessed with an amazing gift of having an eye to decorate. I unfortunately have not inherited that gift. I buy my stuff (or use her old stuff), throw it at her, and she does it for me. If you can see on the top left corner of this next photo, mom used an old, ripped up quilt that her grandpa had made, and had it made into these adorable stockings.

I am so thankful to God for my mom. She has been an amazing blessing to me in so many ways. I don't know where I'd be without her.
Love you, Mom.
It was a joy to read the reflections about your mother. I have admired many of those talents over the years. She is a very special lady!
ReplyDeleteThat was probably the best mother's day gift she ever received.
Thank you Lori!
Shannon
It truly is a gift from God to have such a wonderful mother.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lori!
ReplyDeleteI am very blessed and honored to have you as a daughter. I hope I can be all you ever dreamed of what a mother should be.
I love you!!!
Love,
Mom