Thursday, November 15, 2007

Generosity


We have had the privilege this week of being taught by Jerry Bridges. Though I'm planning to do a post later on what I'm learning about Grace & Sanctification, I thought that first I would share one of the highlights of the week so far. Wednesday afternoon, CJ Mahaney interrupted class just before lunchtime. He came in and honored Jerry for the invaluable contributions he has made to Sovereign Grace, particularly in his understanding of the gospel and how it is applied. Then CJ announced that we were all to go upstairs, Jerry included, and that we were to each get a book out of the church bookstore (and Jerry was to get as many as he wanted). I got John Frame's "The Doctrine of God," mostly because it has been on my list for awhile, but also partially b/c it was big and expensive--and if you're getting a free book, make it a good one! CJ also led Jerry through the bookstore, recommending and feeding books to him to ensure that he was well-rewarded for his trip. Yet another example of the many kindnesses of God to us, not only in hearing clear and compelling teaching on the reality of the gospel of grace, but also in getting free books. Unbelievable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had one of those book give away experiences with CJ. It is unique and memorable. I remember picking up "Justification by Buchanan.

    Hope to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete