I've been thinking a lot about my precious Greta lately. Her disposition is quiet and reserved. For that reason she is somewhat of a mystery to me.
As long as I can remember I have been an extrovert. Apparently I had a shy bone when I was a kid but that is long gone. Being married to an introvert has taught me many things about people who are different than me. I always assumed that if someone was quiet when around me it was because they had some reason not to like me. Otherwise, they would be talking to me, right?
So anyway, back to Greta. Her pregnancy was my only real "surprise" pregnancy. Aaron had just turned 1, we were living in Maryland while attending the Pastor's College, and I was not thinking to get pregnant any time soon. Her pregnancy brought on my worst case of morning sickness. If I remember correctly, I threw up almost every day for 20 weeks. She was born in the midst of a super crazy summer (returning to our home that had been rented for a year, Steve starting his new job at the church, and tackling the girl's new school curriculum.)
I feel like she was my whirlwind baby. I don't have a lot of detailed memories of my first couple of years with her. Greta has always been a bit of a mama's girl. Unlike little Josiah, she did not prefer to be the center of attention, surrounded by adoring fans. She just wanted to be held...by me.
The last year and a half have brought much independence for her. Sometimes I miss my moments with her. Much of the time she flies under the radar around the house. I've been trying to make time for just her. Little moments here and there. Doing her hair pretty, painting her nails, having a big long snuggle.
Don't get me wrong, she certainly knows how to make her wishes known and she has strong opinions about life. But she's quiet and simple.
Having my 2 older girls first was a very defining moment. I had two daughters. Sisters. We have always have and still do refer to them as "the girls." What's been striking me lately, as obvious as this is, is that little Greta is also my girl, my daughter, the sister. She is the sister sandwiched between the brothers. She's the only sister with an older brother. She will have a different relationship with the older girls b/c of the age gap. They are growing up caring for her, doting on her, not fighting with her!
I am loving her place in our family. She is a joy in so many ways and it is so good for me to have daughters that are different than me. What a blessing from God.
Unlike some of her um...louder and more talkative siblings, Greta loves to be with us but doesn't insist on being heard. One of my favorite things that she does is whenever I am feeding the baby, she will grab something, usually a coloring book and crayons or a puzzle, and sit of the floor completely happy and play until I am finished feeding. I love her presence, it's so sweet and comforting. If I leave the room and don't tell her, she cries because I've left her alone.
Such a dear girl you are little G. So happy to have you with us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I love this post, Lori. It is so special to be invited into your family and into your thoughts as a mother. It inspires me for the future. Grateful for your example of embracing what God has given you and seeking to learn in the midst of the daily moments of real life.
ReplyDeleteOh my, some of these pictures took me back 35 years ago and I see so much of my "little girl" in them. What fond memories.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet note from your mom, Lori. It brings tears to my eyes to hear your moms joy she has in you looking at your children.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this post. Pointing out to us, your special moments and characteristics of your daughter. Your words are sweet, loving, and sincere for the special spot G has in your heart. It reminds her and someday she will see this post and see your love for her. She was not missed or overlooked in the chaos of a big family and busy life. I think taking these moments to show your love for your children has been a special part I enjoy reading on your blog. It shows me too the side that we miss being outsiders.
Thanks Lori! I love seeing the joy your children bring you!
Shannon
Introverts are amazing. Just sayin'.
ReplyDelete