Tomorrow my wonderful mom turns 60. Hard to believe, mom. Back in June when my dad had his 60th, I wrote him a little tribute. He liked it so much, he said for weeks he read it every day! I thought I would give a shout out to mom this time. I actually wrote part of this a few years ago on Mother's Day, but I've "updated" it a bit.
As the years go by, I appreciate my mom more and more. When I was a younger, in my arrogance, I would frown upon my mom for being different than me. Thankfully, I have come to love and appreciate many things about my mom that are very different than myself. There are many things that I love about her and here are a few:
She's generous with her time.
My mom spends much of her time helping my brother and I and our families with a wide assortment of tasks. I really think that mom excels in this way. She has an eye for what needs to get done and takes initiative to see that things get done. She will put her duties aside and make time for ours. Last year she spent hours helping us with our addition. There was nothing mom wouldn't tackle. I think hanging walls were her favorite! Mom has spend this past week in Ohio with my brother and his family helping them move. No doubt that she has worked her tail off, cleaning, scrubbing, taking care of kids.
My mom spends much of her time helping my brother and I and our families with a wide assortment of tasks. I really think that mom excels in this way. She has an eye for what needs to get done and takes initiative to see that things get done. She will put her duties aside and make time for ours. Last year she spent hours helping us with our addition. There was nothing mom wouldn't tackle. I think hanging walls were her favorite! Mom has spend this past week in Ohio with my brother and his family helping them move. No doubt that she has worked her tail off, cleaning, scrubbing, taking care of kids.
| Yes, folks, that's my mom in the midst of all those guys, hanging a wall to our addition. |
She's brave.
My mom is this funny mix of sassy and determined. If you tell her she can't do something, she will find a way to do it. She's been known to knock down walls in her house, she's volunteered on the ambulance for decades, and for a few years had a job as a deputy coroner. If you've every gone camping with my mom you know that you don't even need to bring your own firewood. Mom will chop down a tree for 'ya.
A number of years ago my mom's sister was diagnosed with leukemia. Of all the siblings, my mom was the perfect match for bone marrow donation. Mom didn't even flinch to make the sacrifice to give of herself to save her sister's life.
She's hospitable.
Mom and Dad have a nice home that they built themselves and are very willing to open it to others. Mom has taught me the joy of sharing a home-cooked meal with those we love.
Her laugh.
My mom has this very contagious laugh that usually comes at inappropriate times and is often accompanied by many tears. I love to hear her laugh.
![]() |
| Mom and Morgan at my brother's wedding |
She loves my kids.
When my babies were born, there was no one like my mom to help me through the transition. She has an incredible ability to get a baby (or toddler) to sleep with her stubborn determination to "win the battle". Mom has spent many hours watching my kids so I could tend to other responsibilities. I love that my mom is able to teach my girls things that I am not good at. My kids all love their grandma very much.
She can decorate.
My mom was blessed with an amazing gift of having an eye to decorate. I unfortunately have not inherited that gift. I buy my stuff (or use her old stuff), throw it at her, and she does it for me. It amazes me what my mom can pull together with what seems to be nothing.
She is one of my best friends. I call my mom often, usually for no or little reason. She listens to me babble about my crazy day or my crazy kids. She loves all my stories about my day and laughs like I am actually funny. Sometimes I will try to think of an excuse just so I can call her to chat.
I am so thankful to God for my mom. She has been an amazing blessing to me in so many ways. I don't know where I'd be without her.
Love you, Mom.


What an honoring post about your mom. Tears formed as I read the paragraphs of the things she has done for you and your brother, to our aunt and really to anyone she sees needs help.
ReplyDeleteRachel is one great lady! I love her very much as well!
Happy Birthday Rachel!
Thank you Lori for your kind words.
ReplyDeleteI love you and proud to claim you as my daughter.
Love,
mom