Morgan said it well when she said, "Aunt Elsie should come every year and help us do that!"
Monday, December 27, 2010
Sand Tarts
For Christmas, my girls wanted to make sand tarts for my dad. They are his favorite cookie. Problem is, my grandma (dad's mom) is the only one who made them. My mom doesn't (at least not anymore), I tried it once and said that I would never do it again. They are a buttery roll out cookie and to me a big PAIN! So...this year when my girls asked if they could make them for my dad, I brought in the expert. I asked my aunt, my dad's oldest sister Elsie, to help. She so sweetly agreed and we had a great time together! It was so fun to be with her, she reminded me so much of my grandma. She made sure that we made them just like Grandma Thomas did. She even brought G-ma's rolling pin and some of her cookie cutters for the girls to use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my word! I can't believe you didn't invite me! AND, I totally thought that was G-ma in the last picture for a second! Stella and I are SO in next year!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post! Would you believe sand tarts are MY dad's favorite Christmas cookie too?
ReplyDeleteAs a kid Mom would let us help decorate them, but over the years she's cut corners--all her helpers are out of the house. :o) Now she freezes the dough in logs, then cuts into thin slices when she's ready to bake. No rolling and dealing with sticky dough.
However, for the sake of tradition, have that sweet aunt of yours over and let the fun begin.
(I'm going to show my mom this post. Maybe she knows your aunt.)
Thanks so much Elsie, Lori, Claudia and Morgan. . .They looked and tasted EXACTLY like my Mother used to make.
ReplyDeleteI think I will go eat some "right now" Soooo Yummy!!!!
Dan
Dad
G-pa Thomas
Wondering who's the little person in the background with the green lips??? What is her favorite--the cookie or the sprinkles?
ReplyDeleteCan you believe I've never heard of a sand tart? Ok, don't answer that. Can you send me the recipe? What a great idea to have your aunt over to help! I agree this should be a new tradition, and sounds like your Dad is a very happy Grandpa!
ReplyDeleteWow! My Great Aunt Franny used to make those all the time. It brings back so many memories...
ReplyDelete