Sunday, December 21, 2008

A for effort?

My little man turned 2 on Friday, can hardly believe it!! In my
attempt to be fun and creative, I thought I would make him a
firetruck cake. Aaron is obsessed by trucks and cars and the like.
I saw this cake in one of Claudia's cookbooks and thought it looked
super easy, all I had to do was cut a 9x13 cake in half, paint it red,
stick on a few extras and tad-tah!! Well, it turned out much more
complicated than I thought. Here are some shots of the poor,
pathetic cake.

First, my white icing never turned red. I used over half of a bottle
of red food coloring and it just kept getting "hotter" pink! So, pink
firetruck it was. Then, the cake broke in half before I even assembled it.
Thankfully, little Aaron still knew that it was a firetruck cake and thought
it was great.
Warning: this is a REALLY ugly cake!!!




6 comments:

  1. I think it's great!! What a great job you did making his birthday extra special. Merry Christmas gang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it looks great!

    I had the same problem with the Elmo cake. No matter how much food coloring I added, it just kept getting pinker. Come on Lori, did you not read my blog about that cake and learn from my mistake??!! Just kidding. I agree that you get an A for effort and those licorice ladders are awesome! As long as Aaron liked it, that is what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thing 2 year olds could care less.

    Why would such a "complicated" recipe be in one of Morgan's cookbooks???? Could you just imagine letting the girls try and make that? Oh my word, that would of been interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lori I love it! And I love you posting for all of us to share in the experience with you :) But seriously, even though it may not have turned out as you would have liked, it really shows your love for Aaron and desire to bless him with a special cake! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, I think it's just great that you attempted it! And really, it doesn't look that bad!! And isn't it always more fun when there are stories behind things [for the memories]? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting, bc I have nitemares like this all the time..and its nice to know its not just me!!
    PS Your cheeseburger soup recipe is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete