Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vindication

Oh, it feels so good when I am FINALLY right.  For years and years, I have remembered and craved this certain pickle that my Grandma Rudy would make.  It was a dill pickle, not tasting any different than another dill pickle.  But it was a sphere, usually no bigger than a golf ball.  I remember going into her canning cellar and opening a jar.  Oh, I loved eating them.  My mom tells me that she remembers no such pickle, that they were probably just big cucumbers cut into rings.  I haven't really asked around the family to see if anyone else remembers eating them, but for years now it has bothered me...was I not remembering right?  Was there ever really a golf-ball-like pickle?
Last night, my sweet neighbor brought some goodies to our door.  She told me she had tried a new variety of cucumber this year, called a lemon cucumber.  I could not believe my eyes when I saw them.  THEY WERE IT!!!  Oh, they are so cute.  I ate one and don't have the heart to eat the other.  I am certain these are exactly what my grandma used to can.  I can finally rest...

1 comment:

  1. Those great memories of eating Grandma's canned goods. And that part of the cellar would always scare me when I would walk by.
    I don't remember those pickles, but I am so glad that you found it. :-)

    ReplyDelete